I love cooking appetizers/tapas. Making small foods is so much fun, and great practice for when you have guests over.
I wanted to try out a dish that I can use at Thanksgiving and the upcoming holiday season that will be quick, easy, and an over-all crowd pleaser.
You can’t go wrong with sausage and cheese – at least not in my house – so I took my favorite Sweet Italian Sausage and paired it with one of my favorite cheeses, Manchego…and then stuffed it all in a mushroom cap.
Stuffed Mushrooms are great as an appetizer because they’re a one-bite wonder (no need for forks or even plates) and are super satisfying.
If you’re not into Manchego cheese, try using Parmesan, mozzarella, taleggio, or a combo of any of those!
* Party tip: to transform a boring white plate/platter, just sprinkle on some dried parsley (like I did in my photos) and then just place your mushrooms on top. It takes the presentation to the next level!
Sausage and Manchego Stuffed Mushrooms
Makes 14 Stuffed Mushrooms
- 4 oz Sweet Italian Sausage (casings removed)
- 1/2 Cup Fennel Bulb (minced)
- 1/4 Cup Onion (minced)
- 1 Garlic Clove (minced)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Manchego Cheese (grated on a microplane)
- 2 T Breadcrumbs
- 14 Button Mushrooms (stems removed and chopped)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. In a saute pan, cook your sausage, using a spoon to break it up into little pieces. Once the sausage is cooked through, remove with a slotted spoon and place in a large bowl. With the sausage fat that remains in the saute pan, add in your fennel, onion and chopped mushrooms stems. Cook for about 8 minutes over a medium heat, then add your garlic, salt and pepper and cook another minute.
- Pour the contents of the saute pan into the bowl with the cooked sausage. To that bowl add your manchego cheese and breadcrumbs and stir to combine.
- Place your mushroom caps in a pyrex dish with the opening facing upwards. Fill the mushrooms generously with your stuffing from step 2. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes and serve hot.