Recently, for one of my clients, I have been getting into the usage of Miso Paste. Miso Paste is a paste made out of fermented soybeans – it’s gluten free and vegan – but most importantly adds a great element of umami. Umami (one of the 5 tastes – sweet, salty, sour, bitter) – is a taste that kind of encompasses all flavors, and lets the eater experience the broadest spectrum of flavors.
I have been playing around with the usage of Miso with my typical Asian ingredients of Soy Sauce, Mirin, ginger, etc. – and came up with this super simple Chicken dish which I have fallen in love with!
I serve this with my version of Fried Rice – made with Brown Rice – and loaded with flavor (again, another easy take-out dish made at home!)
In my recipe I call for 3 cups of cooked brown rice....for great brown rice every time:
-Add 1 cup of brown rice in a pot with 2 1/2 cups of water -- bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and let cook for 45 minutes. Pull off the heat, then fluff with a fork. This will yield about 3 cups of cooked Brown Rice.
Miso Glazed Chicken
- 2 lbs Boneless Chicken Breasts (cut into 1/4" thick pieces)
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1/4 Cup Yellow Miso Paste
- 2 T Mirin
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger Powder
- In a small bowl combine your soy sauce, honey, miso, mirin and ginger powder - whisk together until combined.
- Heat up a large saute pan with enough canola oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Once hot, in batches, pan fry your chicken until cooked through. As you cook the chicken, remove the done pieces and place on a plate.
- When all the chicken is fried up, dump out any excess oil from the pan and pour the mixture from step 1 into the pan. Over a medium heat, heat the mixture until it starts to bubble. Toss in your chicken and coat with the mixture. Serve hot!
- 1 1/4 Cups Onion (diced small)
- 3/4 Cup Carrot (shredded)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 3 Cups Cooked Brown Rice
- 5 T Soy Sauce
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- 3 Eggs (beaten)
- In a saute pan, heat up about 1 tablespoon of canola oil. Once hot, add in your onion and carrot and cook for 8 minutes over a high heat - add in your garlic and cook another 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Now add in your cooked Brown Rice, soy sauce and peas and mix together. Cook for about 3 minutes then move all the contents of the pan to one side of the pan - on the free side of the pan add in your beaten eggs and cook like you're making scrambled eggs.
- Once the eggs are scrambled, remove the pan from the heat and mix all of the contents of the pan together until incorporated completely. Serve hot.