Tonight we're hosting a dinner party for friends and I wanted to put out a dip of some sort as an appetizer. I love making my Spinach Artichoke Dip, but I wanted something a little lighter, since tonight the dinner is one of those stick-to-your-ribs type meals.
This Caramelized Onion Dip is so easy to make (not to mention it will make your house smell incredible). I serve mine with an assortment of veggies and chips!
Caramelized Onion Dip
Makes about 2 cups
- 2 T Butter
- 1 1/2 sliced thin Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Thyme (leaves only)
- Pinch Chipotle Pepper Seasoning
- 1/2 Cups Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cups Mayonaise
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- In a medium sized pot, melt your butter over a medium heat. Once melted, add in your onion, thyme and chipotle pepper and cook for 50 minutes (stirring every so often so as not to burn the onions).
- Once the onions have completely broken down, and are nicely caramelized, place the contents of the pot into a blender. Add your sour cream and mayo and blend til smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with Paprika and Sliced Scallions. Serve with chips and/or raw veggies.