With Cinco de Mayo coming up tomorrow (coupled with my obsession for all things Mexican), last night I made some slow cooker Pork Tacos. I topped the tacos with Queso Fresco (which I can best describe as Mexican Mozzarella), and my homemade Tomatillo Salsa. We also made some Guacamole to have with Tortilla Chips, and made a whole Mexican feast out of it (see all recipes below)!
The Pork was incredible. I usually slow cook Pork Butt or Pork Shoulder, but last night I decided to go with a Pork Loin, which is considerably less fatty than the latter 2 pork cuts. It was so flavorful, and completely melt in your mouth.
Tomatillo & Avocado Salsa
Yields 2 cups
- 1/2 Cups small dice Onion
- 2 small dice Tomatillos
- 1 small dice Tomato
- 1 minced Jalapeno (Roasted, seeds and stems removed)
- Fresh Lime Juice (from 1/2 a lime)
- 3 T minced Cilantro
- 1/2 small dice Avocado
- 1 tsps Salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl - let sit in fridge for 15 minutes before serving.
BBQ Pork Tacos with Queso Fresco
6 Hour 5 Minutes
- 2 3/4 lbs Pork Loin
- 1 small dice Onion
- 1 minced Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Adobo Sauce
- 2 minced Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ginger Powder
- 1/2 Cup Hoisin Sauce
- 1/2 Pound Queso Fresco (crumbled)
- 10 Flour Taco Tortillas
- In a bowl make your marinade: mix together your onion, Chipotle Pepper, Adobo Sauce, Garlic, Ginger and Hoisin. Place your pork loin, fat side up in your slow cooker and pour your marinade over it.
- Cover the slow cooker and let cook on 'low' for 6 hours. After 6 hours, remove the pork loin and shred the meat. Place the meat in the bowl, and pour about 1-1.5 cups of the liquid from the slow cooker over it. Toss together.
- To make your tacos, lay down your tortilla, top with pork and crumbled Queso Fresco. Optional: top with homemade Tomatillo Salsa and Guacamole (recipes below).
- 2 Avocados (Peel and Seed removed, mashed)
- 1 1/4 Cups minced Onion
- 1 tsps Garlic Powder
- 5 tsps Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 tsps Hot Sauce
- 2 small dice Tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper
- Tortilla Chips (to serve with)
- Mix all your ingredients together and taste - at this point, you can season as to your liking.