Being only 5 days into the New Year, I realized every single day, I have consumed Bacon in one way shape or form. Whether it was on New Year’s Day with my Bacon Jam spread on crackers with brie cheese, or making Quesadillas the next few days after that with said bacon jam…I have literally eaten bacon for 5 days straight….and I plan to continue with this delicious and palate-pleasing streak tonight as well!
I first had a sandwich like this at a bridal shower 4 years ago….the shower was set during the time of day of brunch (and in NYC, brunching is like an Olympic event). Brunch, as defined by me, is classified by greasy, delicious breakfast/lunch food, and drowned in copious amounts of booze (which we justify as appropriate at 11am by throwing a tablespoon of orange juice in and calling a Mimosa and not just champagne). All this talk of boozey brunch food makes me realize I need to blog my killer Bloody Mary recipe....
But I digress…back to the bridal shower….the bride’s good friend (a fellow chef) catered the entire event and one of the sandwiches she made was a Bacon, Avocado, and Apple sandwich on a Croissant. I literally ate three sandwiches and was glad I wasn’t the one who had to then fit into a wedding dress. I don’t remember much of what else was on the sandwich (sauces, lettuce, etc) but the trifecta of the crispy bacon, the creamy avocado and the sweet crunchy apple stuck with me. I have made this sandwich a million times now and my favorite condiment to pair it with is my homemade Honey Mustard (I make this stuff in huge portions because we put it on everything). I also vaguely remember there being some kind of seed on the sandwich as well (maybe I am making this up…it was 4 years ago…and I will reiterate the brunch booze situation)… I have decided on it being pumpkin seeds or pepitas, which I throw on the sandwich too if I have them in the house.
The great thing about this sandwich is it can work for any meal of the day, all year round – it can also be made in advanced and be brought to work, or to the beach, etc. You can also make this in large quantities, which works for parties or luncheons. It’s such a simple combination of flavors but really is so satisfying.
So, long live my bacon in 2018 streak (and hopefully long live my arteries).
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
Makes about 1 cup
- 1/2 Cup Mayonaise
- 3 T Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice (fresh)
- Pinch Cayenne
- Combine all ingredients in bowl, whisk together until smooth. Refrigerate til use.
Bacon, Avocado, & Apple Croissant Sandwiches
Makes 4 Sandwiches
- 4 Croissants (Fresh, sliced in half)
- 1 Pound Bacon
- 2 Avocados (Peeled and sliced thin)
- 1 Gala Apple (sliced thin)
- Pumpkin Seeds (optional)
- 1 Recipe Honey Mustard Sauce (recipe below)
- Cook the bacon: In a 375 degree oven - place your bacon on a foil lined baking sheet and cook for 20-25 minutes until crispy. Remove from the oven and place the bacon on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- To assemble - cut your croissant in half. Spread a thin layer of honey mustard on both sides of the croissant. Top with the thin slices of avocado (about a 1/2 an avocado per sandwich depending on the size of the croissant), some slices of apple and then the bacon and a few pumpkin seeds/pepitas (optional).
- Serve warm or room temperature.