One of my favorite New York City restaurants, Marchi’s, does this simple beet salad consisting of roasted beets tossed in some olive oil with salt and pepper, which I absolutely love. I decided to riff off the simplicity of that and add some bite with some raw red onion and red wine vinegar to make a simple summer salad. This is a great change up from your typical Potato Salads and Macaroni Salads for the summer months (and beets are in season!)
Roasted Beet Salad
2 Hour 30 Minutes
2 Hour 45 Minutes
- 3 Beets (large)
- 1/4 Cup Red Onion (sliced thin)
- 2 T Scallions (sliced thin)
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cut off the stems of your beets, toss beets in a little canola oil and some salt, and wrap each individual beet in tin foil. Place the tin foil packets on a baking sheet and cook 1-1.5 hours (or until fork tender).
- Remove the beets from oven and allow them to cool. Once cooled, peel off the skin (discard the skin) and dice into 1" sized pieces.
- Place the diced beets, red onion, scallion, oil and vinegar in a bowl. Toss and season with salt and pepper.
- This is great served room temperature or cold.