Looking for an easy and impressive dessert? Well look no further! I always assumed that making a crumb cake was something impossible, but in fact this dish was anything but! The flavor combination of blueberries and lemon is perfect! Super bright and delicious for the spring.
I used frozen blueberries for the shear fact that I couldn't find blueberries at the supermarket (wtf?) In addition, the original recipe calls for more lemon zest than I added and calls for Lemon Extract where I used fresh lemon juice. I usually half the amount of lemon/lime zest called for in recipes because I find the taste overpowering. I'd rather use the lemon juice for that more natural and subdued lemon flavor.
This is a great dish for dessert or for your next brunch - and it makes your house smell amazzzinnnggg!
Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake
Makes 1 8"x8" Cake
- 1 Stick Butter (Room Temperature)
- 2 T Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 4 tsps Lemon Juice (fresh)
- 8 oz Blueberries (tossed in 1T Flour)
- For the Topping:
- 3 T Brown Sugar
- 2 T Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup Flour
- 4 T melted Butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix your butter, canola oil and sugar together for about 3 minutes on a low speed until light and fluffy.
- Continue mixing and add in one egg at a time, waiting until the first one is incorporated before adding the second egg. Stop the mixer and add in your flour, baking powder, lemon zest and sour cream. Start mixing on a low speed until incorporated. Add in both vanilla extract and lemon extract and turn off mixer.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and carefully fold in your blueberries. Spray an 8x8" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and pour your batter in spreading it around in an even layer.
- In a separate small bowl combine your brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, salt, flour and melted butter. Mix til nice and crumbly. Sprinkle crumble topping over the top of cake batter.
- Bake in oven for about 45-50 minutes or until the center is cooked through. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.