I am well aware that last week I blogged my Chicken Flautas, but because they were such a big hit in both my house, and on the internet, I decided to try out a different version of these delicious little treats. So last night I hoped to appeal to the vegetarian audience, or to people who may want a night off of meat for a change.
These Vegetarian Flautas were quick and easy to make - with basically little to no prep. The Avocado Cream was delicious as well - it also paired great with tortilla chips as a dip!
Vegetarian Flautas with an Avocado Cream
Deep Fried Vegetarian Flautas served with a Lime flavored Avocado Cream
Total Time: Serving Size:
- 1 Avocado
- 1 1/2 T Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (minced)
- 1 Jalapeno (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon Adobo Sauce
- 15 Ounce Can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 Tomato (diced small)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Salt (to taste)
- 2/3 Cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 12 6" Flour Tortillas
- Canola Oil (for frying)
- 15 Ounce Can of Refried Beans
- Make your avocado Cream. Mast up your ripe avocado with a fork. Add in your lime and sour cream and mix together until combined. Season with salt. *To make creamier, add a little bit of milk in - this is better for drizzling the avocado cream on top of the flautas* Refrigerate til using.
- For the flautas: In a medium sized saute pan, heat up 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil. Once hot, add in your onion and jalapeño and cook for about 8 minutes over a medium heat. Add in your adobo sauce, black beans, tomatoes, and garlic and cook another 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in your oregano and season with salt.
- Remove the saute pan from the heat and mix in your cheddar cheese. Mix together until completely combined.
- Heat up a large pot of oil or a deep fryer to 360 degrees and also preheat your oven to 200 degrees (with a sheet pan inside). Take your tortillas, and on each one, spread out about 2 Tablespoons of your refried beans and top with 1/3 cup of your flauta mix. Roll them up tight and secure with 3 toothpicks. Place in the deep fryer in batches, and fry til golden brown. Remove from oil and place on sheet pan in oven to keep warm.
- Continue to fry all the flautas. Remove toothpicks before serving. Serve with a drizzle of your Avocado Cream and some small diced tomatoes.